Maharashtra State Eligibility Test (MH-SET) is a state-level competitive exam conducted by Savitribai Phule Pune University.
The candidate who qualifies for the Maharashtra SET (MHSET) would only be held eligible for being appointed as Assistant Professor in University/ affiliated college, provided he/she fulfills other academic qualifications prescribed for the Assistant Professor post by the U.G.C.
The eligibility criteria to apply for MH-SET is:
• The Karnataka State Eligibility Test (KSET) Center, University of Mysore, Mysore is the Nodal Agency recognized by the UGC, New Delhi for conducting the Karnataka State Eligibility Test (KSET) for Assistant Professor since 2010.
• Strictly adhering to the guidelines stipulated by the UGC-NET Bureau, KSET center, University of Mysore will be conducting State Eligibility Test once in a year to make rigorous merit-based selection for the entry level of teaching profession.
• Candidates who qualify the KSET will be governed by the rules and regulations for recruitment of lectures / Assistant Professors of the concerned University / Colleges / Institutions (Government / Aided / Private) in Karnataka State. The Certificate issued for the KSET eligible candidate from this office will have lifetime validity.
• Candidates who have secured at least 55% of marks (without rounding off) for general category and 50% for Schedule Category (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST),Persons with Disability (PWD), OBCs i.e., Cat-I, IIA, IIB, IIIA and IIIB, in Master's Degree OR equivalent examination from universities / institutions recognized by UGC New Delhi, in the subjects opted for KSET.
• Candidates who are pursuing their Master's Degree (First or Second Semester) or equivalent course or candidates who have appeared for their Master's Degree (Final Year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this test. However, such candidates will be admitted provisionally and for those who clear the KSET, eligibility certificate will be issued only on production of proof for having passed the Master's degree or equivalent examination securing at least 55% marks.
• Candidates shall appear for KSET in their relevant subject of their post-graduation only.
• The candidates of other states except Karnataka, belonging to OBCs (SC, ST & Other Backward Classes) categories shall be treated as General Merit [GM] only. As per the reservation policy of Karnataka Government.
• There is no upper age limit to apply for KSET-2021.
Government of India Notification dated 22nd July 1988 regarding revised pay scales stated that only those candidates who, besides fulfilling the minimum academic qualifications prescribed for the post of Assistant Professor / Lecturer, have qualified in a comprehensive test, to be specifically conducted for the purpose, will be eligible for appointment of Assistant Professor / Lecturer.
UGC has recommended the introduction of test at entry level (Assistant Professor / Lecturer) in consultation with academicians and State education secretaries.
Accordingly, the UGC conducted the test for Junior Research Fellowship and eligibility for Assistant Professor / Lectureship on 24thDecember 1989 and 29thApril 1990 in the subjects falling under Humanities and Social Science including languages.
The CSIR conducted the Joint UGC-CSIR test for JRF and eligibility for Assistant Professor / Lectureship on 31st December 1989.
Simultaneously, the UGC asked the State Government and Union Territories about their option to conduct their own test or alternatively, adopt UGC and UGC/CSIR test.
In the event that they opt to conduct their own test equivalent to UGC and UGC/CSIR tests, such tests shall require accreditation by the UGC.
The Commission at its meeting held on 25th May 1990 decided to constitute a UGC Committee on accreditation of test to be conducted by State Committee and Union Territories. This committee is designated as U-CAT.`
The test conducted by UGC and UGC/CSIR is referred as the National Eligibility Test (NET) while the equivalent test conducted by the State government is called State Level Eligibility Test (SLET) or State Eligibility Test (SET).
Gujarat Government decided, in principle, to conduct SET vide Government of Gujarat Education Department Resolution No MIS-1092-New Item-10-dated 31/8/98.